[DeTomaso] Bad Ground Symptoms....Maybe

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 17:25:19 EST 2008

Michael,

  I had most of the same symptoms, except mine didn't take 7-10 days to die. It would happen in half that time.

   - Battery dies over 7-10 days  --> Yes, but within 3 days (less time if I used the headlights)
   - Weak Headlights              --> Yes
 - Dim Instruments              --> Mine are always dim, so I didn't notice a change here.
 - Bottom three vertical guages cease to function.  --> Didn't notice if this symptom was present on mine.

And my car had similar test results as your car:
 - Alt tested well for charging
 - All fuses were fine
 - Battery terminals were clean and tight
 - Block to chassis ground strap was fine and contacts clean

  The Cause:
  The culprit turned out to be the voltage regulator. It apparently
  developed a problem or short which caused a constant drain on the
  battery. A quick trip to my local auto parts store and $20 later I
  was back on the road with no more problems.

  Cheers!
  Garth