[DeTomaso] Bad Ground Symptoms....Maybe

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Wed Feb 13 13:04:05 EST 2008

Michael,

	If your battery is dying over 7 to 10 days, and you're re-charging it with
a charger instead of by driving the car, it could be that your problem is
just a bad alternator or regulator.  Before you go looking for shorts that
may not be there, use a voltmeter to check your charging voltage with the
engine running at about 2500 RPM with the headlights on.  The voltage at the
battery should be between 13.7 and 14.3 VDC.  If not, you may have a bad
alternator and/or regulator.  Your local auto parts store can test your
alternator.

	If the car passes the charging test, check the water level in the battery
then fully charge it with a battery charger.  Then take it to your local
auto parts store and have them load test it.  It may be that you have a
dying battery.  Replace it if it measures bad on the load test.

	After you've passed the tests above, then start looking for shorts via
Larry's method below but since it takes 7 days to die the short may be minor
enough to not light the lamp that Larry suggests.  For a more sensitive
test, turn everything off in the car with the ignition key out and the doors
closed.  Disconnect the battery ground cable, set your multimeter to measure
current (10 to 20 Amp scale first) and use the meter to make the connection
between the battery's negative post and the ground cable's clamp.  If you
get a reading, you have a short.  If you get no reading, switch to the
mill-Amp scale on your meter.  If you see more than 20 milliamps or so of
current, you have a short somewhere.  You can then use Larry's method of
pulling one fuse at a time to locate the problem.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #550