[DeTomaso] Bad Ground Symptoms....Maybe

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Wed Feb 13 12:35:55 EST 2008

Hi Michel,

It sounds like you have two problems. A drain on the battery, when the car
is turned off, that is killing the batteries power. Then a bad ground,
making the dash lights dim.

It is always a good idea to look at things that have been changed or added
to the electrical system first.

To test for the drain use an old head light (or my converted trouble 12volt
light you have all heard me talk about) between one of the battery cables
and the battery post. The light will go on if there is a drain. How bright
the light is will tell you how much of a drain it is (amps). First look at
things that are powered with the key off (lights, horn etc.) Remember when
you open a door a light will go on, so remove that fuse. After that start
unplugging things one at a time till you see the light go out.

As for the grounds remove and clean the ground stud under the dash that
grounds many items.

Let me know if you need more help.

Larry (sparks) - Cleveland