[DeTomaso] California driver Pantera for sale--full review, and pantera value from a Norwegians point of view

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 05:26:28 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/12/08 15 44 51, dakelm at qwest.net writes:

> A lot of lurkers, wannabes and future Pantera owners read this forum and
> they need to heed the advice in Ken's second paragraph. Is it nearly always
> better to pay more upfront for a nice car than to try to resurrect a rusty one.
> It's a simple matter of economics and I know Mike Drew will concur with this
> statement.
>
>>>That is exactly right--and I'm living proof myself.   I bought a cheap
Pantera under the illusion that I could restore it cheaply and at least be at the
break-even point, and I am so far upside down on my car that it would be
hopeless to ever try to recoup my total investment (not to mention the 17 years
that it took to buy it).

That said, there are some people who literally can't afford to buy the
Pantera they would like to have, but can afford to buy a less-desirable Pantera.
These people choose the buy-early route and (hopefully) enjoy the car while
upgrading it as time and finances allow.

The most critical aspects of a Pantera are rust, followed by the gearbox.
Any Pantera that is relatively or totally rust-free and has a good gearbox, is
a good candidate for *some* people, and thus I encourage *those* people to buy
them.

> Unless you absolutely, positively, conclusively CANNOT find a car that is
> close to your liking and cost is no object for you, then restoring a Pantera
> can be a rewarding, though long and expensive, experience.
>
>>>Also true.   Some people can afford to write a check and drive off in any
Pantera out there, but they are particular about their desires.   If you want
a specific color and specific features and details, then the only way to do it
is to build it yourself.   And if that's the route you're going to take,
buying a rust-free car like the one I just looked at is the only sensible way to
go.

Jim Nowlin had a beautiful Pantera starting point for sale, asking $28K, and
couldn't get any interest in it at all.   It was already dismantled, primed
and ready for paint.   Just a rolling chassis, but totally complete (except
missing some glass, and he was willing to buy the glass and include it in the
deal).   For somebody that wants to have a car built to their tastes, it was the
most reasonable choice, but people stayed away in droves.   The California
fruits and nuts (grin!) would instead pay $40K or more for a complete, running
car, and then spend extra money having it taken apart to get to the same point
Jim's car was.   Dumb.

Jim eventually sold it to an overseas buyer who was looking for a car to
restore and could see the wisdom in buying one that was already halfway there
(well, partway there at least!)

> >I know Johnny Woods has gone this route, with stunning success, but if he
> were to be adequately compensated for his labor, his car would cost a fortune
> for the next owner.
>
>>>Johnny Woods, bless his heart, is one of my best friends and an absolute
lunatic.   He is doing some ZF work for a mutual friend with deep pockets and
tastes for only the best.   Above and beyond changing the ring and pinion, he
is going to spend (and charge for) *40* hours of labor just to paint the
case!!!!

> A cheap Pantera will likely turn out to be quite expensive, while an
> expensive Pantera could well turn out to be a bargain!
>
>>>I always advise people who are shopping for a car to take a good, hard
look at their financial situation, and determine the absolute, complete maximum
amount of money they can afford to spend on a Pantera, and then go out and buy
one at least $5000 MORE than that amount!!!   Without question they will be
financially ahead in the long run--and happier too.