[DeTomaso] Header coatings

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Feb 12 20:54:20 EST 2008

Dear Will,

                    In my experience, using an infrared temperature gun on
the heads and headers just off the race track cool down lap, I recollect
temperatures in the 600-750 degrees Fahrenheit range.   I have the standard
aluminized ceramic coating  since 1991 and many track events,  it dulls
fairly quickly with use, i.e. not so shiny after about five hundred miles,
but does not discolor like chrome.  Supposedly, one can shine it up, but I
am keen on low maintenance  (and I have two Panteras...!!), umm, headers.
I suspect that the high temp coating will lose luster in much the same way
as the standard stuff.    No science.  Just opinion.

                                   Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles