[DeTomaso] California driver Pantera for sale--full review, and pantera value from a Norwegians point of view

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 18:13:35 EST 2008

The reality is that many California Panteras lived in beach communities for many years.  While there is salt on the road in the midwest which is a known and visible enemy of steel, the salt air near the ocean is not a visible threat or easily dealt with.  I moved from inland, maybe 20 miles from the ocean, to a couple miles from the ocean, and everything that could rust did rust in short order.

  Regarding Pantera prices, the range should be very large because it costs so much to make one right.  I'd bet you could spend $30K (paying a shop to do the work) on a ragged but running car to make it decent, and much more to make it nice.  So, a ragged warn driver is big $s away from a nice car and the prices should reflect that.  Why would anyone pay $35K for a car that will be worth $50K after then spend another $30K on it.  And if they spend $100K (at a vendor) it may be worth $60K?

  Ken

Dagny Kristine Bakken <dagny-kr at online.no> wrote:
  In many years people from Nordic countries has gone to California to find
their dream cars.Thats mostly because we have allways heared and belived
that there we find the most rustfree cars,and the biggest market of them in
the whole US(and world).There are good and easy shipping at a desent price
from there as well.This factors lead many of the buyers from here to miss
the opportunity to buy a decent rustfree car from other states, and instead
end up with a rusted Californian car.How i know....our first Pantera #2293,
lived its former life in California and Arizona, but the
windshieldframe,floor and rockers were badly rusted when we bought it,and i
know of several others.I think that its much easier to keep a car rustfree
in California(and other dry erias),but in the end ,its most important how
the car has been used and treated by the former owners.The heavy taxes we
have on importing cars,are a LOT lower for a 30 year and older car,and that
ombined with a good exchange rate against the dollar,have led to that many
here now has made their dream come true and bought them a pantera.Before
this started,there were only a handful of panteras here,and they were priced
and admired right up were the big Ferraris and lambos were,pricerange 100
000 to 200 000 dollars.Invitable even with shipping and other expences,there
are many here who now afford to make the dream come true.It goes the other
way too.Orginal Hi performance cars like the hemi Cuda and that like,are
sold to US,as they often dont fetch as much as 40 000 dollars here,but are
in big demand(dollars)there.IMHO the best thing we can do to rise the
value,is to market our beloved cars;brag about them,show them as often as
possible,and belive and be proud of the car as it truly deserves.Despite its
few shortcomings which is no worse than other cars ,its one of the best
super sportscars ever made.And dont be ashamed of that Cleveland iron in the
rear,its one of the cars best assets!It make the car drivable,since a
eventually blown engine cost peanuts compared to other exotics.And
maintenance...i was told that one man here in Norway had his Ferrari
Testarossa in for a timingbelt change to the expence of nearly 20 000
dollars 8[
Something to think about :)

Best regards to you all from
Øyvind Bakken