[DeTomaso] Axle Nut torque

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 16:16:27 EST 2008

If you look in the Machinery's Handbook for an equivalent screw thread size
to our 1.5764"-dia axle shaft, such as 1-9/16" fine thread, the SAE torque
recommendation is of the order of 1000 ft-lbs- but this is for grade-8 steel;
stock rear axles are far from grade 8 (or even grade 5). The found-to-work torque
from when the Pantera was new, is 300+ ft-lbs NOT done by hammering the nut
with a punch but with a real wrench. One vendor uses a 3/4"-drive air wrench
that generates 'above 500 ft-lbs' with a full compressor tank. This absolutely
requires the type spanner-socket that completely envelopes the nut, not the
factory kind with protrusions that stick down into the nut openings and NOT the
type nut that is thin at the top with a half-height drive section below. This
last type socket or the thin type nut WILL pop loose when tightening or
loosening at such torques! All the vendors now sell the enveloping style socket and
full-thickness nuts.
And please- think of the next guy who will be working on your car and do not
use Lock-tite on the nut along with very high torque. I had one with bad shaft
wear requiring axle repair, whose nut exceeded 600 ft-lbs on my Snap-On
torque wrench, and I finally had to blow the side off a perfectly good $16 nut with
a cutting torch to get it loose! FWIW- J DeRyke