[DeTomaso] Dyno Numbers and Throttle Sticks

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Mon Feb 11 22:13:38 EST 2008

Couple more items to consider:
I've seen some carb spacers and/or under-carb mounted thermal shields that
can interfere with bits of hardware on the throttle shafts.  In one case on
the side opposite of the throttle cable linkage where you aren't looking so
much.

You say your cable is new, so not likely, but for others to consider:  An
older cable will sometimes break a strand or two somewhere along its length
which will intermittantly hang up inside the sheath.

Another item to check, if all the others haven't panned out, is to check
that the throttle plates themselves are not dragging on whatever is under
the carb (spacers, manifold, etc.)

With your rev limiter, you are in pretty good shape, but without it:
Everyone's instinct is to stay in the clutch when this happens - kaboom.

Had this happen to me twice 10 years ago before I found the first condition
above.  Luckily, the wimpy hydraulic cam/spring combo I had floated the
lifters early enough to limit the rpm, but somehow avoided piston/valve
contact.  Engine survived for years afterward.