[DeTomaso] Lightened Crankshaft

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Mon Feb 11 21:14:55 EST 2008

Dear Tony,

             I pulled out the calibrated bathroom scale of science for today's experiment.   Remember that a stock 351 Cleveland crank is alleged to weigh 52 pounds.

             The stock crank weighed: 56 1/2 pounds.

             The lightened crank weighs: 55 1/2 pounds.

             So, science tells us that I spent a lot of hours with the grinder plus the expense of retreating the improved piece with nitride to achieve (within the bathroom scale range of error.....) a one pound weight reduction, which is somewhat more than, umm, one percent.   Oh, well.   It was an interesting experiment.  I learned that next time I will be a bit more aggressive and use a bigger grinder and shoot for a five per cent reduction, I think.  :-)

                    From the Pantera Research Institute,  Chuck Engles