[DeTomaso] California driver Pantera for sale--full review

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 01:25:16 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/10/08 22 10 4, dakelm at qwest.net writes:

> Excellent write up Mike, except for one, very important thing: I think your
> price estimate is WILDLY optimistic. My car, with which you are intimately
> familiar, recently sold for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the $45K I was asking

It shouldn't have.   If you sold it for a penny less than $45K, you gave it
away.   That doesn't mean that's what it was worth, but rather, you weren't
able to sell it properly.   Part of the problem is the fact that you live in
Minnesota.   Out here in California people pay good money for these things.

Several Panteras that were no better than drivers, with paint needs,
mechanical woes etc. have sold for over $40K in the Bay Area in the last year; cars as
nice as yours easily fetch north of $50K.

By way of comparison, a Pantera that was just a rolling shell, in primer,
fully dismantled except for the suspension, with a noticeable dent on one front
fender, and missing its original wheels, sold for $25K in Nevada a few months
ago, and the buyer felt he was getting a bargain.

Now imagine that same car, fully assembled and functional, with a strong
motor and brand new cooling system.   It's easily worth $10K more than that.

Had you shlepped your Pantera out to California, PI Motorsports would
probably have put a $60K price tag on it and sold it for $55K.   Even as some people
believe the economy is crumbling, Pantera values (particularly for quality
cars) continue to rise.