[DeTomaso] Pantera Handling 101

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 18:01:17 EST 2008

 Sean,

What tire pressures are you running?

My car has stock springs (with the spacers removed) and sway bars. When I was running Pirelli P7's--I believe 215/50-15 and 275/55-15 -- I used 3-4 lbs more in the rear, usually filling to 32 and 36 to allow for some bleed down over time.? With these pressures the car would push some under throttle and rotate slightly upon sudden let-off.

Once I tried the "more pressure in the front" recommendations Ford used for the US cars and couldn't believe it was the same car--the rear felt like it was trying to come around much more severely when I lifted.

I now have 215/45-17 and 285/40-17 modern tires and found that with my usual 3-4 lb pressure difference the car pushed too much, so I switched to equal pressures all around (about 32).? I just drove the car this AM on my favorite 270 degree onramp and it was very neutral-- neither pushing much with throttle nor rotating significantly with lift off.

My point is that tire pressures make a huge difference in handling and you should try that before spending money.

Regarding the jacking / lifting phenomenon-- is it possible your spring spacers are still in place from the factory?
That may be putting your rear end into positive camber when you get off the throttle, which would in fact cause the rear of the car to lift more.?
When you look at your car from the rear at rest, are the rear tires vertical or do they lean a bit? If they lean, are the tops or bottoms closer together??? A bubble or digital level can tell you if you're not sure by looking.

JIm