[DeTomaso] Fugitive Alternator Belt

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 00:55:13 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/8/08 19 48 10, spleen at spamcop.net writes:

> Belts break, so I'm not too upset about the whole incident, but I do
> have two questions.  First, why would the failure of the alternator belt
> result in overheating?  I would have thought that the battery would have
> been sufficient to keep the electric fans running.  Perhaps I've lost
> more than one belt?  And second, what belt to I need to ask for at my
> local auto parts store to replace the one that went on walkabout?  Thanks.

You're going to slap your forehead and say DUH when you hear this.

The alternator belt ALSO turns the water pump!!!!   So when the belt broke,
the pump stopped pumping.   Doing what you did definitely put your motor at
risk; I wouldn't be surprised if you blew a head gasket or two.

As for the belt you need?   Well...you need to show them your old one and
match it.

Oops.

I don't know if the belt is listed by part number in the Ford parts book, but
it's worth a look....