[DeTomaso] Fugitive Alternator Belt

J. Sean Keane spleen at spamcop.net
Fri Feb 8 22:47:22 EST 2008

I thought I had noticed the occasional slight hissing noise coming from
my engine compartment lately, but it wasn't dramatic enough for me to be
certain.  Today, as I was driving home, it suddenly got louder.  Then my
generator light came on, and the ammeter showed a constant discharge.  A
few moments later, there was a slight thump and the hissing stopped.
I'm reasonably certain that the thump was my alternator belt exiting the
engine compartment and having a brief flirtation with the rear tire as
it made its bid for freedom.

I wasn't too far from home, so I thought, "No big deal, I can make it
home on the battery."  But then I noticed the temperature starting to
climb, and soon I was stopped in a parking lot with clouds of steam
issuing from below the car.  I was only a couple of miles from home at
this point, so I let the car cool down for two hours and got water to
re-fill the reservoir.  With that, I was able to limp home without
reprising my role as a steam engine (although I could hear the water
boiling as I pulled into my driveway.)

Belts break, so I'm not too upset about the whole incident, but I do
have two questions.  First, why would the failure of the alternator belt
result in overheating?  I would have thought that the battery would have
been sufficient to keep the electric fans running.  Perhaps I've lost
more than one belt?  And second, what belt to I need to ask for at my
local auto parts store to replace the one that went on walkabout?  Thanks.

Regards,

Sean Keane
1974 L