[DeTomaso] Does anyone know of a programmable digital warning display on the market that replaces idiot lights?

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 15:00:32 EST 2008

Grasshopper (aka Super Dave pretender),

  While we can't remove the dumb driver, the added programmable smart blingy-blink stuff sounds cool.

  I'm gonna copy Mike Trusty and Dick Drenske on my response and your original letter so they keep me honest on what I don't know about the new IR-EFI system that Mike as you know built in Arkansas and Dick as you probably also know is installing out here on the right coast inhis shop. I know the  system has ability to data dump but I like the digital warning display your describing.

  The stuff we want to monitor is the same stuff we all  want to monitor in race or WOT conditions (fuel delivery, oil pressure, oil & water temps) without having to look around the cockpit or depend on a navigator (mine is God).....I will agree even led lights are dumb lights that too often (most often - okay every time for me) don't work until damage is done but I am determined in this Chinese new year (Year of the RAT) to become enlightened so let me know as R&D progresses. Your doing inovative cool stuff.

  I know the computer is a Tech3-R ....its supposed to have data logging capability but I'd like to be able to see at a glance what you are describing. I have roll cage pod mounted Ultra light gauges which are great since there is no looking down at those dinky gauges in stock location.

  Contentious Dawg

Dave Londry <davel at emspace.com> wrote:
  We're there Dawg.

We  need  real-life abuse on the field-trial units so we can see how smart/dumb we are, and then remove all the dumb part.
Can you give me a general description of the stuff you'd like to monitor and or control?
Then I'll ask you a few dozen or so detailed questions and set one of the little darlins up by hand.
We'll probably want to talk about the way you want to do the wiring layout too.
The fancy GUI program, that lets you do setup the easy way, won't be online for maybe 3 months yet.

dave
(I think Osborne copyrighted the other handle)

PS You're going to love this.
The spell-check on this mail program tried to correct Antenucci to Contentious.

Mad Dog Antenucci wrote:     Super Dave,

  I like it! Send it to me and I will make sure it gets a real field trial in a 'real world' environment running 150-180 MPH on a 2-lane road over a 90 mile course at the Silver State!

  Mad Dawg Antenucci
  Team Pantera Racing
  "If It was easy you'd do it"
  www.TeamPanteraRacing.com

Dave Londry <davel at emspace.com> wrote:
  Ken
Our company will be going to field trials (in May) on a cute little box
with 12 leds across the front,
an RPM input and 8 general-purpose inputs/outputs on the back.

On the upside, it would easily take 7 sensor inputs, turn on LEDs for
fault conditions and drive a buzzer output.
On the downside it's intended to do more complicated tasks,
like rev limiting, traction control, critical shutdown, limp-home, and
for the gas-inclined, nitrous valve control,
all running at the same time.
With all that capability, it will list at about $300, which seems pricey
for an idiot light.

BTW, on #6143 I'm planning to run: rev-limiting, traction-control, oil
pressure/ oil temperature/ coolant temperature limp-home and shutdown
plus a variable-speed electric water-pump and use the leds for a
tach/shiftlight, all with one box. That's a bit more value for $300.
There will be an upcoming discussion about using ignition-interrupt for
rev-limiting.
It's a no-no for sure on cat-equipped vehicles.

dave

--
Dave Londry
Embedded Spaces Inc. (ESI)
davel at emspace.com

604 721 2278 cell
604 589 9183 phone/fax
Skype:embeddedspaces

Curt Hall wrote:
> That kinda sound like the good old idiot light that most of us idiots never see until its to late! Baw ha ha ha
>
> Ken Green wrote: I've been talking to a friend about developing a small programmable display to accept inputs from various sensors and display a programmable warning when programmable conditions are met. Probably include an audio warning too. Does anyone know if this is on the market? It's hard to believe it's not out there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

  Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
www.teampanteraracing.com

--   Dave Londry  Embedded Spaces Inc. (ESI)  davel at emspace.com    604 721 2278 cell  604 589 9183 phone/fax  Skype:embeddedspaces
begin:vcard
fn:Dave Londry
n:Londry;Dave
org:Embedded Spaces Inc.
adr:;;16468 - 111 Ave.;Surrey;BC;V4N 5G7;Canada
email;internet:davel at emspace.com
tel;work:Skype/Cell/Home
tel;fax:604 589 9183
tel;pager:Skype: embeddedspaces