[DeTomaso] Can you measure clutch wear?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 18:22:41 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/6/08 10 33 33, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> I get no clutch slipping whatsoever, so that's good, but what noise do
> throwout bearings make?

A growling or squealing noise.   Right now I can't remember if it typically
makes the noise under load (when the pedal is depressed) or when released.

I have removed a throwout bearing that was so shot, it rattled like Maracas
when you shook it....

Also, I've had two clutch failures; one of them was doing the slipping thing
as previously discussed.   The other one started juddering something fierce.
What had happened was that a good portion of the friction material had broken
away from the disc, then become trapped between another part of the disc and
the pressure plate.   So in one part of the disc, there was no friction
surface, and in the other part, the friction surface was 2x thickness.   That caused
the disc to become cocked slightly, and made the car miserable to drive in
traffic.   However, once engaged the clutch worked fine i.e. no slipping, and I
could shift it while driving with no issues.   It was only leaving a dead stop
that it wanted to tear the car apart....