[DeTomaso] creepy

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed Feb 6 13:42:59 EST 2008

A scammer can fake an outgoing email address and spoof most of the
header.  However, there are other tell-tale signs that indicate the
email is coming from the detomaso forum server, as being relayed from
a legitimate subscribed member.

That is NOT to say the infected machine is being held by a member on
this list, only that in order to get an email through the forum, you
must use a subscribed address.

On the server side of things, the thing to check is the origin IP of
the incoming message, which probably can't be spoofed so easily since
you're not looking in the header of the email, you're looking at the
server logs.  It's tricky, and takes time to investigate.

But it is my opinion that the spam/virus emails are coming -through-
the detomaso email server, but may -not- necessarily be generated by a
subscribed members computer and are most likely -not- being generated
-by- the detomaso server.

my two cents,

Asa Jay