[DeTomaso] Can you measure clutch wear?

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Wed Feb 6 11:50:42 EST 2008

Most of the clutches I've had wear out in my lifetime gave me plenty of
warning.  A good test for a clutch condition requires a 60MPH or greater
capable road.  Just put it in top 5th gear (6th for you lucky devils with a
ZF 6 speed) at about 50 MPH and floor it.  If you see the tach climbing but
don't feel the normal push of acceleration at your back, either your clutch
linkage doesn't have enough free play or it's time to change your clutch.
Once you know your clutch is wearing out, you can drive it quite a bit
further by being good to it.  That means keeping the acceleration to
moderate and lower levels and staying out of the highest gears, if possible.
The idea is to avoid a maximum torque condition in high gears.  I've gone
another 2000 miles on a clutch that slipped in 5th gear only because it was
too cold outside to change it.  By the time I had to change it, it was
slipping in 3rd gear.  The trick is to regularly check for clutch slippage
in top gear so it doesn't catch you by surprise.  Throwout bearings let you
know their condition by the noise they make and (like a clutch disc) will
usually give you a few thousand more miles after they start making noise.
All this being said, you should only push a limping clutch system further if
you have no other choice.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505