[DeTomaso] Can you measure clutch wear?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:15:10 EST 2008

Hi all,

A question that's been bouncing around in my head for a while and I never
got around to asking.

You can tell how much life is left in your tires by looking at the remaining
tread.
You can tell how much life is left in your brake pads by looking at
remaining material.

Is there a simple and quick way to tell how much of your clutch and/or
throwout bearing is left? I ask because this is one thing that you most
likely cannot find on the road far from home, and I'd like to change these
things out of they will most likely not last a full driving season. In my
old ´72 I had my throwout bearing and/or clutch, I don't remember which, fry
on me while I was in town. It would really suck if that happened 1000 km
from home.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/