[DeTomaso] complex clutch question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 23:10:29 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/4/08 6:32:53 PM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:
snip.....
> The funny thing is, before I disassembled the old set up, once I had
> drained all the fluid out of the old clutch master, the linkage was similarly
> binding.  Yet, when the car was assembled, the clutch functioned seemlessly.  Do I
> just need to have fluid in the system for the clutch to be adjusted?

Possibly. The angle of the pushrod into the clutch master piston might bind a
little on the bore with a dry assembly. Brake fluid tends to act as a
lubricant. FWIW, I recommend using Girling's 'Brake Grease' when installing hydraulic
system parts. This is a brake-fluid-compatible grease in a 1oz black tube. I
once had a brand new clutch master stick its piston in the bottom of the bore
when I tested it, and it took some time to free it up. Yet with a little
'brake grease' on the piston & seal, the piston returned flawlessly on its internal
spring. Good luck- J DeRyke