[DeTomaso] complex clutch question

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:32:19 EST 2008

Am in process of restoring 74 GTS

Got a new original style clutch mastercylinder.

As I hook it up to pedals, with no lines run or fluid in the system yet, the linkage is binding.  I have to push the master pushrod in a bit before the pedal "unlocks" so I can then push the pedal all the way in.  In other words, the linkage under the dash (pedal pressure reduction thingy) is binding.  It looks like the clutch master cylinder pushrod is too long.  I see it is adjustable, and in fact it is a few millimeters longer than the original I removed.

I adjust the master pushrod in a few turns, so now it is a bit shorter than the original, and the linkage moves better, but not perfect.  The funny thing is, before I disassembled the old set up, once I had drained all the fluid out of the old clutch master, the linkage was similarly binding.  Yet, when the car was assembled, the clutch functioned seemlessly.  Do I just need to have fluid in the system for the clutch to be adjusted?
Anyone have any suggestions?  Am I supposed to adjust the pushrod length on the new clutch master cylinder?

Incidentally, the old (original) clutch master had quite a rough bore.  I sure am glad I decided not to reuse it.

Please give advice.  Justin