[DeTomaso] Pantera brake rotor swap

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Wed Dec 31 13:49:36 EST 2008

Ken,

Thanks...that's good news for all of us with brake conversion questions. I looked at the 996 calipers and tried to buy some...I went through a source Chris Defani used and I got prices of $1,000 to 1200 for a used calipers.  I favored the Volvo "R" caliper because they are new fresh calipers. The number I got was $154 per caliper, I have a friend who owns a body shop and that's his wholesale price. The rotor size is 13" and is use on daily drivers that weigh 4000-4500 lbs so these should work great for the Pantera. You are a better judge of a calipers power and more importantly adapatability...which do you think is better. In addition the amount of work to do the "R" brackets to hang the caliper has to be accounted for...since you already have all the pieces it is the easier, "don't have to reinvent the wheel" option. I got the idea from the following link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton/042304-002_lo-res.JPG&imgrefurl=http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton/volvo240bigbrakes.html&usg=__yRuS3FX1IQC3lL-1TvQQYiK29gg=&h=625&w=694&sz=40&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=7b08DyYnz4k5HM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=139&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvolvo%2BR%2Bfront%2Bcalipers%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Not sure how this caliper compares to the 996 caliper. My guess is that the 996 caliper may be a bit better as it was matched to the 996??? For my purposes I don't think it will matter.

Tom Borcich