[DeTomaso] Safevue glass

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 17:30:02 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/30/08 10:09:16 AM, lplugw at hotmail.com writes:

> I've got one of the "Viracon" brand with embedded FM antenna now. It
> doesn't look like it seats well and it leaks copiously

Almost all Pantera windshields WILL leak since stock or replacement glass is
sized slightly small for the body opening. As a note, the ungasketed glass
will fall thru the body opening. The size then doesn't stretch the outside of the
gasket tight to the body, resulting in leaks and worse- rust corrosion in the
lower windshield channel. Silicone sealer is a must for no leaks, and it
should be genuine windshield silicone. Hardware-store silicones exhude acetic
anhydride during cure; this reacts with moisture in the air to produce acetic acid
which is worse than water to steel. So if you can smell vvinegar from the
curing silicone, it's the wrong stuff! True windshield silicone is odorless while
curing. A bead of sealant should be run along the underside of the entire
outer lip of the gasket since rainwater will be forced under it at only moderate
speeds, to collect in the bottom of the channel... and rust.
FWIW- J Deryke, with a new windshield and original gasket- that doesn't leak.