[DeTomaso] Another header question: bolts- Header Bolts and Aluminum Heads

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 29 02:34:02 EST 2008

Rich et al:

For what it's worth, my manuals all recommend using a premium anti-seize on
steel bolts, in aluminum heads. The professional knowledge all points to the
fact that galling of the aluminum threads from dissimilar metals is what
destroys threads in aluminum heads. Stainless bolts are probably the worst
for galling, as it has the "roughest" metal surfaces. By using healthy
amounts of quality anti-seize (specifically recommended for your bolt metal,
in aluminum threads), the galling should be prevented. At the same time,
paying strict attention to the torque requirements, and the tightening
patterns is also a requirement for aluminum thread longevity.

There are more than 4 major types of "anti-seize" available now. They all
differ in significant ways. The corrosion resistance, the temperature range
(one can handle 2987°F, and just for comparison, aluminum melts at 1600°F,
and steel burns at 2900°F), and so forth. Then there's the grades: Nuclear,
Aircraft, High Temperature, Food Grade, Premium, Marine, and more.  One
series varies by metal flake used; copper, nickel, lead, or aluminum (Nickel
is excellent for stainless steels, and aluminum alloys). One is much better
for stainless plus dissimilar metals, while another is more suited for
standard steels. You'll definitely need to read the small print before you
decide what you really need.

Personally I use Aircraft Grade Water-Resistant Zinc Antiseize thread
lubricant.... at $21 for an 8 ounce can.... as it is specifically
recommended for aluminum applications. It meets mil-spec CID-A-A-59313, and
has a temp range of -65°F to 800°F.

If you want to see a decent range of anti-seize products, go to
www.mcmaster.com and look at Catalog Page 2114. Or else, simply enter
"anti-seize" in the "Find Products" text box.

I guarantee you'll be amazed, this comes under the heading "I had NO
idea.....".

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"