[DeTomaso] Another header question: bolts

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 28 19:19:08 EST 2008

I used studs on my aluminum heads.  I can get to about half of them with a
socket/ratchet.  The other half require an open end wrench.  Of course, your
mileage may vary as it will obviously depend on the headers.

I tried the locking headers bolts that have a tab and a clip to hold on the
tab.  I don't remember the brand name.  This was on a 5.0 Mustang.  I used
the bolts, but I threw away all the locking tabs.  After fiddling around
with 16 header bolts, the last thing you want to deal with is getting a
small piece of metal over the bolt head and then slipping on a c-clip.

I've never had a problem with header bolts loosening as long as they were
retorqued after a couple of heat cycles.

I've also never had a problem with header leaks as long as the header wasn't
warped.