[DeTomaso]   Oil Pressure Sender

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 15:11:14 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/28/08 12 06 14, detomaso at gmx.com writes:

> Who says, that the 10$ mechanical gauge is right?
> These are made in the same poor quality as the senders.

Right.   If you are comparing the stock electrical oil pressure gauge with a
junk mechanical gauge and they disagree, there's no way to really know which
one is correct.

FWIW, I have an oil pressure sender of unknown type, and temporarily I
plumbed in a rather expensive, quality mechanical oil pressure gauge; the two of
them agreed perfectly.

Later on, I was convinced to change my sender (I can't remember why), and the
new one gave erratic readings.   The indicated pressure was higher most of
the time, but above 4000 rpm, the pressure would suddenly drop off, as though
the oil pump was being starved.   After much fretting, I put the old sender back
on, and it now works perfectly throughout the range.