[DeTomaso] Fw:  Tapered Bearing problems

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 14:43:46 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/28/08 4:06:28 AM, hemipanter at hemipanter.se writes:

> Are there any drawings of the set up around to take a look at? In the case
> of original bearings it is common for water to find its way in between the
> bearings and rust the distancer stuck to the axle.

The design of this conversion has the front seal laying against a flat
surface (the front of the inner bearing race), while the seal itself was designed to
envelope a shaft or tube. So only a very slight amount of force flips the
seal's lip back and lets water in. It's simply the wrong seal for this collection
of parts, and several engineers have commented over the years that 'that seal
just can't work that way'. They're right. Over the years, I've heard from
nearly a dozen owners who lost tapered bearings to water intrusion.
In my tapered roller conversion, I used much the same seal except I made a
short tubular spacer between the stub axle flange and the front bearing, so the
seal actually has something to envelope. With this simple but
expensive-to-fabricate change, no water leaks and no bearing problems in 15 years of all kinds
of weather driving- including going thru the dreaded automated car wash.
But its all kind of wasted effort since stock ball bearings work just fine in
Pantera carriers- the tapered conversions were done when we didn't understand
why ball bearings were failing- and it turned out to NOT be the bearings at
fault but undersized factory axle shafts wearing out- now fixed with new
factory axles or the popular billet ones, made to the correct size.   My 2¢- J
DeRyke