[DeTomaso] Tapered Bearing problems

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Sat Dec 27 23:21:11 EST 2008

I ran a track event in the rain and it rusted my Quella bearings is just
days.  I went years without a problem, but had been avoiding rain until that
point.
I have heard several similar tales from others.
I was quite surprised upon disassembly to find, what I believe, is a very
sound design by Denis.  I wouldn't want to come up with my own (what a
project.)  I would never suspect a sensitivity to water intrusion from what
I saw taking mine apart and putting them back together.  I don't think its
getting past the seals.  My latest suspicion is that temperature changes are
breathing air in and out thru the axle splines, which traverse under the
inner bearing race.  However, I tucked all my hardware away before thinking
of that, so I don't have a real good comparison of the stock vs. Quella
geometries in this area.