[DeTomaso] Crank Identification

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Sat Dec 27 22:55:56 EST 2008

I picked up a slighltly used Cleveland engine.  It has a cast aftermarket
crank with 3.75 stroke (383CID).  Here is the identifiable information.
Didn't get any hits on the internet.  Curious if anyone can fill in any
knowledge here.

On the OD of the front counterweight there is what looks like mfr info
peened into it, but there's a balance drill right in the middle of it:

"HO", then maybe the top of an L, then the drilled hole which could be
obstructing two or more letters, then maybe the top of a B or R, then "OOK".
My first reflex is HOLBROOK, but not sure that makes sense.  Then there is a
"B.W.", but that looks to be an independant operation.  Then under the
HO-OOK there is a matching "EN", then the hole, then "NC."  All of which I
think is HO-OOK ENG INC.  Then a "2118."

Ground into the front of the counter weight looks to be some hand-made notes
from the builder.  I recognize the rod and main grind values, but the rest
is not clear to me.  Maybe the name of the builder or a previous owner is
recognizable:

Petit
R 020
M 020
CD
GAS
PCG

Does any of that ring thru to any of you?
It appears to have stock Cleve Rods with the DOAE-A forging identification.
Although they lack the remnant forge line mine always had.  I think they may
have been dressed.  They appear to have been peened.  Forged pistons of
unknown origin sit atop.

Thanks, and Merry Chrismas,
Tony DiGiovanna
Jersey Panteras