[DeTomaso] Fw: Headlight Photos

MACHWIL at aol.com MACHWIL at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 14:55:59 EST 2008

Art,

Saw your article and pictures re. your headlight conversion. Very nice and
detailed.

I don't remember when I 1st made my conversion but it was many years ago.
There are probably 12 to 18 sets existing. My first set was aluminum,hand
formed, welded, etc. from which I made fiberglass molds. The installation first
took a couple of days but kits could be installed complete in about 8 hrs.  Only
the frames needed to be painted. Cutting the front of the bucket was very
simple and done with a fine tooth hacksaw blade, a grip made from duct tape  on
1 end. Two aluminum ells, 3/4 X 3/4, 1" long were needed for each side.  The
fiberglass bezels were the heart of the whole thing. The bulbs were  H4701 high
beams ONLY  from  the GM four bulb set-up used on several  cars and trucks.
Being extremely low, they never needed to be dipped for  on-coming traffic.

George Peloquin, Gary Spratling are just a couple of guys who used them  with
no problems. (George of course is deceased) and his PURGOLD Pantera was  sold
a few months ago. I see it is for sale again at Barrett-Jackson at
Scottsdale January 11-18.

I know of one member from the San Diego club, a retired Fire Chief, who
installed these on his Pantera by himself. He was a little older than  I at the
time, about my age now.

You can see my car in the POCA PROFILES # 1 magazine and on page 18 is  a
picture of the light as installed on my car. These lights were also on one of  my
cars that was raffled at the POCA Fun Run many years ago.

I must say some of the kits today are much more functional than mine, but
none come close to the pleasing appearance  as mine do. You can place a  level
on the top of my open lights and the bubble will be  centered.
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.