[DeTomaso] Plasma cutter

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 10:04:32 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM, <shelbygt at cfu.net> wrote:

> A little off the subject, but does anyone have suggestions for a
> plasma cutter for the do-it-yourselfer?

Even if you get a cheap one like I did, you'll wonder how you got through
life without it.  It makes you go "Buah-hah-hah-hah!" sort of like 5000RPM
in 2nd gear does.  I have a bottom of the line Drag-gun with an onboard air
supply.  It's heavy, but compact and I can bring it to any site that has a
110v outlet.  It won't do more than 3/16" plate though and it complains a
bit doing that.  Now I'd like to have a larger model with shop air, but I
won't be trading this one in :)  It's great for junk yard duty and will cut
a car into as many pieces as you please.  It's just not as much good for tow
hitches :)  Here's an ad for it from Grainger
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5UV90

It has some consumables; they come in bags full and that seems expensive but
there are 10 or so electrodes per bag.  I'd get a bag of electrodes and a
bag of nozzles.  The nozzles last through 5 or 6 electrodes... I'd say one
electrode per car that you back halve:
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/cars/suprang/2bits.htm

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera