[DeTomaso] Fw: Headlight Photos

astephens artstephens at charter.net
Thu Dec 25 01:30:18 EST 2008

         Having lived with the Frog Eye headlights for more than ten years
on 4268,  I finally decided to do something about them on 2556.  Part of the
reason it took so long to get around to this was probably the thousand
dollar price tag for the Vader and Kirk Evans kits.  A couple of years ago,
Dave Rudderow of TPOC  told me that he and Bud Williams had converted their
cars to the rectangular bulbs many years prior.  Dave emphasized how easy
and inexpensive it was to do the conversion themselves,  probably before
there were conversion kits?  I always thought it sounded like a great idea
and I finally got around to doing it.  The project was definitely
inexpensive,  but easy,  not so much.  It took me the better part of three
weeks to do the job!  I don't recommend tackling it unless you have more
time than money (or good sense).  :-))  That being said,  I'm pretty happy
with the outcome,  though there were a number of times when I was asking
myself if I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel.  I spent about fifty five
dollars on the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs #H4666ST and probably another
thirty bucks on hardware.  The 85 dollars I spent sounds pretty inexpensive
compared to the price of the kits,  but a thousand dollars sounded cheap by
the time I got done with this damn project!  So, unless you are a glutton
for punishment,  (or perhaps just more talented than myself),  sticking to
one of the kits is probably a better way to go.  The link below has a large
number of pictures of my project from start to finish.  The first three
pictures are of Dave's car,  the rest are from my project.  Much of the
hardware in the first 80% of the pictures wound up being trashed until I
came up with what I wanted.  The last pictures are of the finished product.

Art