[DeTomaso] NPT (or very little) Any recommendations on a home garage TIG welder?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 16:55:51 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/24/08 10:39:01 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I've been told that the recent (last 10 years???) under $2K Miller TIGs
> work very well.  Anyone have experience with them?

I learned to TIG on a Miller Idealarc. IMHO, Miller, Lincoln and a few
industrial brands are all fine machines and any will do what you want without
trouble. Don't be afraid of a used machine as long as it works. Just make the seller
run a bead on a piece of scrap and it'll likely be fine. One tip: buy the
biggest unit you can find, as welding aluminum takes enormous amounts of electric
power due to aluminum's rapid shedding of heat. Welding steel or stainless-
even heavy plate, 150 amps are generally plenty. For aluminum and mag, twice
that amperage is needed. Some models can switch from AC for TIG to DC for stick
(arc) welding and this is very, very handy.
Figure on supplying it with a dedicated 100amp at 240VAC line at your home. Or
tell the wife not to use the oven or dryer when you're in the shop.... MY
300-amp switchable Lincoln draws 87 amps at 240 VAC.
Peripherals: You'll also need a helium gas cylinder, a helium flow regulator,
a foot control, a torch (torches come in air-cooled and water-cooled; for the
lighter more compact water cooled torch you'll need a regulated water supply &
 drain) and a collection of tips, electrodes and connectors, and a bundle of
welding sticks in several sizes and alloys. Good luck- J DeRyke