[DeTomaso] L or pre L?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 16:28:20 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/23/08 1:16:52 PM, fkhjr at cox.net writes:

> i've been looking for a Pantera for some months now and have a question i
> haven't seen addressed before. are there any good reasons to prefer an L over
> a pre-L?

Bodies 1971-1978 were virtually identical, so some original-L-cars now are
configured as pre-Ls, and vice-versa. Aside from the appearance, the L model has
quite a few features not present on the earlier pre-L: outside fuel filler so
the decklid need not be opened to gas up in inclement weather, a dash with
the speedo and tach closer together for a little better viewing at low speeds,
thicker 1-piece seats (which may be a drawback depending on your body size). L
bumpers add about 60 lbs to the car but also partly correct 'float' or lift of
the front end at high speeds, and a host of other little details.
There are also subsets of the L and pre-L: from Sept '72 to mid-Jan '73 a
transition model was sold that had most of the L model upgrades but with the
early dash & switches. There was a pushbutton door model made in early '71 prior
to the officially imported pre-L, that was different in many details from the
pre-L, and   the post-1980 wide-body cars made after Ford abandoned the Pantera
project. These typically have wheels twice the width of the 'normal' Pantera
with large flairs covering the huge tires. They also had large brakes front &
rear and a host of detail changes.
Your best bet, being undecided, is to attend a chapter meeting or any
function, or the annual Fun Rally held in the Spring. At any of these will be
numerous cars of all models and most owners will let you set in their pride 'n joy to
see how you like it. Rides are given and believe me- you'll learn a lot just
hanging around asking questions! May non-owners join the national club to
receive the publications, announcements of events and technical tips published
menthly. One need NOT be an owner to join, only an enthusiast!
Finally, be aware that virtually all Panteras have over the years received
the 'personal' touch from their owners in some respect, the community not being
so constrained by absolute originality as by improving the breed. Virtually
any Pantera with a well running engine will do 150 mph and many with improved
engines will go far faster, so upgrades to brakes, handling, safety and other
areas are also routinely done. Good luck in your search- J DeRyke, Tech editor,
POCA