[DeTomaso] water pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 14:04:36 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/23/08 9:38:15 AM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> My concern with adding such a disc was that if it was not perfectly
> centered on the impeller it would create an out of balance condition which could
> lead to premature bearing/seal failure.

Also quite true. While I didn't need to do it, the welded or rivited disc
could then be trued up by chucking the entire pump in a lathe (8" or larger) by
the shaft and turning the disc's OD. I might mention that the WEiand on mour
car has been severely modified: I added the disc, weld-repaired the cracked boss
and chopped some 3 lbs of uniused boss, etc off the outside of the poor
thing. Its cooled adequately for our 10 minute long run at 145-150 mph a few years
ago, and has caused zero trouble for nearly 20 years.
Plus, there's a few shops in major cities that will overhaul most water
pumps, changing seals and bearings if you send them the old pump. I haven't needed
their service but if I was Bob Benson with a collection of pumps, I'd gather
up mt expensive scrap and see what they could do. Cheers- J DeRyke