[DeTomaso] Fw:  water pump

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 13:34:40 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/23/08 2:24:09 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Where does one get this water pump backing plate? It has to be tig'd on?

Off a lathe. Mine is a plain 4-1/2" OD (I think- its been a few decades since
this happened) x 1/8" thick stainless steel disc with enough of a hole in the
middle to clear the impeller hub, and three 3/8" holes that correspond to
three of the impeller blades. I did 'rosebud' welds through the three holes onto
the impellers to retain the disc. It was TIG'ed because I wanted to limit the
heat input due to the seal which is less than 2" away, and because the
impeller is also stainless. Regular weld on stainless burns away the nickel and other
elements that make the steel 'stainless' so you get massive rust right at the
weld. Braze is another option for stainless, but I chose to TIG it. No
problems since I did this in 1990. As I said, all these little tweeks in theoretical
efficiency did absolutely zero for lowering the operating engine temp, except
for the addition of the big radiator. Cheers- J DeRyke