[DeTomaso] Ford Motor Sports Water Pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 02:34:18 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/21/08 11:34:51 AM, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> I _have_ to have something that short and I've not found another solution.
> The snout on everything else is too long.

Steet rodders use a pump from a Japanese car mounted on an adapter backing
plate for some tight engine swaps. I haven't researched this but 'Snow White'
Mfg rings a bell.
Another method used on Chev V-8s-into 911/914 Porsches is to take a std
aluminum water pump and side-mount it on custom brackets, wherever it can fit &
still reach a vee belt sheave. Then you use hoses and big ANs to connect the pump
to the block from its new position. I put a 215 Buick into a 914 this way,
using the Buick pump and lots of TIG welding.
A final suggestion is, Meziere now has compact electric pumps that move
enough water for street cars and don't have to attach to the block; some are
in-line on a radiator hose and others clamp onto the radiator! Bud Williams drove
his Pantera to 'Vegas from L.A a couple of years ago with a Meziere on as its
only pump. An advantage of electric pumps is the constant flow regardless of
engine speeds. Meziere has a website and a nice catalogue.
'Course, the stresses and temperatures in a typical street hot rod and what
you guys are playing with may instantly disqualify all of these. FWIW- J DeRyke