[DeTomaso] Antifreeze Leak

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 01:35:32 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/20/08 18 19 1, MZadony at fleetresponse.com writes:

> Thanks for your info.  I have new silicon hoses & stainless water tubes.  I
> like your idea of cold temp, because it only happens in winter.

At the risk of asking the obvious, are you using silicone hose clamps, or
regular hose clamps?

Here's a hint--silicone hose is extremely fragile and regular hose clamps
will slice right into the hoses, causing leaks.   If you have silicone hoses, you
MUST use proper clamps (called T-bolt clamps) such as these:

http://www.siliconehose.com/commerce/catalog/showpic.jsp?product_id=1875&
czuid=1229840888354

Note the very different construction from a standard hose clamp.

The other alternative is a liner clamp, which is basically a standard-style
hose clamp with a liner inside to prevent the clamp from eating the hose:

http://www.breezeclamps.com/liner.htm

Because silicone hoses expand and contract much more than rubber hoses, an
alternative designed to cover a wide temperature spread is a spring-loaded
T-clamp.

http://www.turbohoses.com/Spring-Loaded.gif

The nut tightens against a spring, which allows the hose to expand and
contract as needed to ensure a good seal with silicone hoses--which otherwise don't
particularly like to seal.

What a pain in the ass.

There's not enough money in the world to get me to put silicone hoses on any
car I own.   Heavy duty rubber hoses work great and don't deliver the kind of
headaches you are suffering with now....