[DeTomaso] Dyno Day the First

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:26:43 EST 2008

> I'm unfamiliar with the lifters you're using. But why not use the fully
> shrouded roller bodies shown on some parts lists? Someone told me 'those
> type lifters don't work in performance engines...' Sure, the wheels in
> these must be a tiny bit smaller but it seems that this would at least
> keep the wheel notch out of the oil holes in a Cleveland. Or did I miss
> what was actually interfering?

It's not the wheel notch.  It's the oil hole on the lifter itself
that pops up far enough that it would bleed oil out the top of lifter
bore.  The OEM lifters worked fine in a different 351C block and the
bore is tall enough, but in this engine, there's a big chamfer that
lets the oil bleed out.  The Crane lifters fixed the problem as they
have hole lower on the body.  We're also running hydraulic roller
lifters.  I've seen some hydraulic rollers with shrouded bodies but
they were very expensive.

Dan Jones