[DeTomaso]   AOL Status

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Wed Dec 17 10:20:42 EST 2008

<< They didn't have seven-digit phone numbers in 1927.>>

PEnnsylvania 6-5000 is said to be the oldest continuing phone number in New
York City, New York. It belongs to the Hotel Pennsylvania and has been in
continuous use since 1919.[1] The telephone number is based on the old
telephone exchange name system. The first two letters "PE" in PE6-5000 stand
for the rotary dial numbers 7 and 3, making the number (with Manhattan's
area code) +1 (212) 736-5000.

Many big band names played in the Hotel Pennsylvania's Cafe Rouge Ballroom,
including the Glenn Miller Orchestra; the phone number became the
inspiration for the Glenn Miller song of the same name. In turn, this later
inspired the pun title Transylvania 6-5000, used separately by a cartoon and
a full-length live-action film. The number was requested in the film
Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Larry (played it last weekend) - Cleveland