[DeTomaso]   AOL Status

Trevor Fougere trevor at fougere.com
Wed Dec 17 02:11:26 EST 2008

Aside from the fact that I don't have a job, all Internet connections use
TCP/IP.  Land lines cost $$ and should be factored into any cost analysis of
your internet connection, aside from the massive amounts of your time that
they waste due to low bandwidth.

I congratulate your family on keeping the same land line number all these
years. I imagine they haven't moved very frequently. The fact is that the
percentage of residences without a land line is steadily increasing. I
haven't had one in over 10 years. Under current law you can keep your cell
phone number when changing services, and it is thus more likely to be the
same for you twenty years from now.

Virtually every mail server out there today supports a web interface,
allowing anyone to access their mail over the net.

The only way to assure yourself of an e-mail address that will stay with you
indefinitely is get your own domain name and use an address associated with
it. Having your domain (and e-mail)  hosted is far cheaper than a land line
on an annual basis.  That includes the occasional renewal of your domain
name.

For example, at godaddy.com you can lock up your domain name for 10 yrs for
$94 and hosting your domain and email is less than $5 per month. Basically
that's $70 per year. for mike at mldrew.com ( a domain that's available by the
way).  How much is AOL costing you?

Another nice thing about running your own domain is that you can freely
change your ISP as technology and circumstances require, and your e-mail is
entirely unaffected.  Other considerations in how you host your domain
include, no monitoring/censorship, you actually get to keep your e-mail
(unlike AOL), unlimited size of attachments, etc.

Mmmm..think I may just run out and buy that mldrew.com domain.  It might be
worth something!

Trevor

Yes, I am as a matter of fact--specifically *because* I'm on AOL.   I'm at
my

mom's house tonight, accessing my AOL and the internet quite easily and

cheerfully (albeit slowly) via dial-up.   When I'm at home, I have Comcast
cable,

and my AOL works flawlessly (and lightning fast) using a TCP/IP connection.

When I'm travelling elsewhere (which is about 75% of my life), whether I'm
in

the USA, Europe, Africa, Asia, or the Middle East, I can access my e-mail
using

native AOL either through a hotel's wireless or LAN connection, or through a

*local* dial-up number.   And if I don't have my own computer, I can go to

www.aol.com and access my mail via their webmail product.   Almost no other
ISP

offers that kind of seamless flexibility.

A million people have my e-mail address, which has been propagated through

time and space for almost 15 years (and the same is true of Jack DeRyke).
So

it would be next to impossible to notify everybody of our new addresses
should

we choose to change, and we would wind up potentially cutting off many
people

who might need to get ahold of us.

Mike (if you want to call me here at my parent's house, the number is

DElaware-4-7860, the same number since my grandfather first got the phone
installed

here in 1927....)