[DeTomaso] Shifters are not created equal

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:50:25 EST 2008

Has anyone noticed or been bothered by the new shifters not being exactly as the originals in width and being "sloppy" are far as the way they fit resulting in free play.

My original shifter fits very snug in the shifting mechanism and the brass bearing are exactly the same thickness as the new ones.  However, the base width of the shift rod is 0.540 inches of the new rods (excluding brass bearings) and 0.580 of an inch on my original.

The result is the original fits exactly with no slop in neutral or with shifting and the new ones (I have now tried two) do not.  I thought it was the bushings and should have paid more attention although at least they were on sale for 60$.
My old shifter  that came with the car has a 40% full thickness notch from the prior owner.  I thought of welding and re-chroming but it appears hard to remove the brass bushing without damaging them. Any tricks here?  Will they melt if I weld it without removing first?

Also, has anyone placed shims between the shift rod and shaft mount between the brass bushings and the snap rings to make it more snug?
I have any early 71 so this may not be the same on later models.

Clay