[DeTomaso] DOT-5 Brake fluid myths

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 14:39:04 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/15/08 10:55:51 AM, notstock at yahoo.com writes:

> silicon based dot 5 fluids as are reccomended in Harley davidson and
> certain aircraft applications are based on a silicon chemistry.....

None of the military aircraft I flew in for 26 years used silicone. They used
Skydrol which is mostly phosphoric acid, often also used for concrete
etching.   In high altitude airplanes, the main issue is a fliud not gelling at
subzero temperatures. A few car nuts thought that stuff might work in their cars
and bikes.... very bad idea! Instead, it dissolved the brake lines and seals.
FWIW- J Deryke