[DeTomaso] DOT-5 Brake luid

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 14:28:23 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/15/08 8:28:17 AM, enauman at roadrunner.com writes:

> Why do you say Silicone brake fluid is unstable?  Harley won't "authorize"
> anything else in their bikes.

Reports on this stuff mention that at Colorado altitude on a rod-run, the
brakes in two cars totally went away. Once the machines were trailered back down
to L.A levels, they magically came back... The difficulty with bleeding air
out of more viscous silicone is very well known, as is the slightly
compressibility of the fluid- which may come from dissolved gasses that never come out. No
race car nor race track in the world endorses silicone brake fluids and if
there was a nickel's worth of advantage in it, racers would have found it in the
30+ years they've been around.   I'm unfamiliar with Harleys, currently
owning three motorcycles. I did manage to ride a big twin around the block once.
That was plenty; don't remember much about the brakes- it didn't go that fast.
Cheers- J Deryke