[DeTomaso] Pantera Stereo/Speaker install question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Dec 15 14:18:05 EST 2008

Dear Clay,

Using the 2 or 2.2 microfarad caps will do two things: 1) it will increase the power handling of the tweeter, since less bass will be reaching the tweeter, and it's bass frequencies that destroy tweeters.  2) It will raise the crossover frequency, so there will be less total sound emanating from the tweeter (it won't seem as loud as it would using a 4 micro cap) but the sound will be crisper, in the sense less midrange will be coming from the tweeter.  Since you're using 6" speakers for the woofers, they can reproduce midrange up to a pretty high level.  In fact, some three-way speaker systems in pro-audio applications (and even some larger home systems) use 6" drivers for midrange only.  I wouldn't be surprised if your woofers could reproduce 8,000 hertz or higher with ease.  If you use the 2 microfarad cap, you may notice a dip in the midrange.  Since I don't like a lot of midrange, I don't mind that, but most people prefer the sound of a 4 microfarad crossover point.  That's especially true in two-way systems.

As Doug mentioned, you just need one cap per tweeter, on the positive side.  Think of the cap as a valve:  you run the signal through the "valve" to the positive terminal of the tweeter.  It only allows high frequencies through, limiting the total bandwidth, like a valve would limit the amount of water through.  The only reason you'd need two per side is if you couldn't find the right size and had to combine them to accomplish it.  Like if you had a valve that was too small, so you have to hook two of them up on the same water line to let enough water through to meet your needs.

I hope this makes sense--let me know if you need any more help.  I can email you, and then Doug will be able to explain what I really meant to say...  (It's good to have friends who can translate!)

Sincerely,

Chris

From: doug at silicondesigns.comTo: claywillmott at hotmail.com; chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.comSubject: RE: [DeTomaso] Pantera Stereo/Speaker install questionDate: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:04:44 -0800

Clay,

    Chris has had more experience than I have at trying different capacitor sizes in car stereos so I'll defer to him on whether to use a 2uF or 4uF (the value affects the frequency response of the tweeter).  As far as capacitor voltage ratings go, higher is better in all instances, but a higher voltage rating costs more and increases the size of the capacitor.  If you use one of the DigiKey ones I listed, you only need 1 per tweeter between the positive output of your amp channel and the positive terminal of your  tweeter.

Doug

-----Original Message-----From: clay willmott [mailto:claywillmott at hotmail.com]Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:30 AMTo: doug at silicondesigns.com; chrisvkimball at msn.com; Pantera ForumSubject: RE: [DeTomaso] Pantera Stereo/Speaker install question
Which is better the 2 or 4 uF and does it matter they save 180 Volt AC instead of 12 volt DC? Also I need two per tweeter (4 total) and solder two in a row (series) to the positive terminal of each tweeter only?ThanksClay1343> From: doug at silicondesigns.com> To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; claywillmott at hotmail.com; detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: RE: [DeTomaso] Pantera Stereo/Speaker install question> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:22:06 -0800> > Chris,> > Another minor correction. You're using the terms electrolytic and> non-polar together below. Electrolytic capacitors are polarized, hence the> need to run 2 in series, back to back. He ideally wants to use a non-polar> type (metallized polypropylene, polyester film or mylar).> > I seriously doubt you'll find these are Radio Shack. Here are links to both> a 4 and a 2 uF polypropylene type that would be appropriate. Keep in mind> that Digi-Key has a $25 minimum order.> > http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10940-ND> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10938-ND> > Doug> > -----Original Message-----> From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com> [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com]On Behalf Of Christopher Kimball> Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:29 AM> To: claywillmott at hotmail.com; Pantera List Serve> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Pantera Stereo/Speaker install question> > > Great, just be sure to use the 25 or 50 VOLT non-polar, electolytic 4> microfarad capacitors on the positive tweeter lead.> > Sincerely,> > Chris> > > > >

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account.