[DeTomaso] DOT-5 Brake fluid myths

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 13:55:16 EST 2008

no brake fluid is compressible period.
Dot 5 fluids come in different chemistries  just as dot 3/4/4.5 fluids do.
silicon based dot 5 fluids as are reccomended in Harley davidson and certain aircraft applications are based on a silicon chemistry and have a specific issue of being able to include a very large amount of dissolved air in the fluid. This is what makes silicon based dot 5 fluids seam to have a spongy pedal feel , To eliminate this the fluid must either be heated during the fill and bleeding process or must be vaccuumed prior and during the fill procedure to ensure that dissolved air is removed.
most auto brake systems are not compatible with silicon based chemistries and will rapidly deteriorate if these dot 5 fluids are used . There are dot 4 , 4.5 and 5 based fluids that are all glycol based or synthetic non silicon that are compatible with all standard dot 3 compatible systems and extend your wet and dry boiling points well above dot 3 fluids .  for almost all applications the ford , valvoline synthetic in the gold bottle have dot 5 ratings but are glycol ststem compatible. valvoline syntec is only 7 dollars a quart at autozone or oreilys .

jg