[DeTomaso] 73 pantera Vapor Lock?

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 13:56:46 EST 2008

I am having a problem with my car cutting off and not restartng. I have just
installed a Fram racing fuel filter ( y=the Big orange one with a chrom
plated Filter housing. It is also supposed to be a water seperator. I also
have a ballcock valve in line and a fuel pressure guage. I am using rubber
hosing coverd wiyh braided stainless mesh for most of the fuel line I had to
add.A length of this line around 16" long runs from the metal fuel line that
comes from the gas tank and runs parrellel with the left side valve cover
and then makes a 180 turn to go into the inlet of the fuel filter. Exiting
the fuel filter ( facing the front of the car I have the ballcock valve then
a few more inches of the same rubber fuel line ( with the SS braidd cover
then I have a t connection which is where the fuel pressure gauge is and the
it connects to the metal  fuel line the connects to the double pumper inlets
on my Holley 650. When the engine is running it shows around 4lbs of
pressure in the fuel pressure gauge. When I turn it off and it won't restart
(  it has happened twice) I have unscrewed the bolt the holds the filter
housing tight and sealed And then retightened it and the the car started.Am
I getting a vapor lock from having my fuel line running to close to the heat
from the motor?   I had a similar stalling problem several months ago when
all I had wasa simple in line fuel filter. When I replaced  the old filter
discharged a bunch of silt that was almost like mud. Does anybody have any
suggestions or ideas?
Thanks,

Boyd