[DeTomaso] Sticking rear brake

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 00:47:45 EST 2008

A while back I posted a question about an e-brake arm that didn't seem to
want to return when the e-brake was pulled, and the consensus I went with at
the time was a binding cable.  Well . . .

I went to replace the cable tonight, and when I had it off the car, it was
in great shape and moved freely.  So, I put a pair of pliers on the spring
arm of the brake caliper, simulated a cable pull on the arm, and when I let
go, it didn't move back to position.  I could move it with my finger, but it
was definitely sticking.  I performed the same test on the other side, and
that one was fine.  I had both of the rear calipers rebuilt by Bobby Byers
shortly before I drove to Vegas in '06, so it's not like they are old.

I disassembled the offending brake, separated the cylinder from the hat and
disconnected the brake line to drain it.  I put it in the vice and did a
couple more bench tests with a pair of channel lock pliers and no change.  I
rotated the piston 45 degrees and depressed it, then brought it back to
center and tried the pliers again: no joy.

Anything else I can try before I send it out for another rebuild?

Thanks in advance
Mike Thomas