[DeTomaso] automotive related questions!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Dec 11 03:04:01 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/10/08 11:16:43 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> Second question:  After looking at photos of GT-40s, Lolas, McLarens,
> Chapparals, etc, I noticed the Ford powered
> vehicles used 180s while the Chevy powered ones did not (generally).  Any
> thoughts about that?

GM traditionally went the giant-motor route in its semi-official racers
rather than the highly-tuned small engines of the original GT-40s (which evolved
from size-limited Indy DOHC engines). I can't recall a contemporary 'Vette to
the GT-40s and Panteras at LeMans other than the 7+-liter blocks. And its more
complicated in big-block Chevys; due to their firing order, the engine
experiences port-robbing from ajacent cylinders firing after each other. Also in
big-blocks, they had so much torque that tuners actually used staggered-length
ram-pipes to spread out the 'tune' and slightly enlarge the torque curve. FWIW- J
Deryke