[DeTomaso] automotive related questions!

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Dec 11 02:16:23 EST 2008

MikeLDrew at aol.com skrev:

> In a message dated 12/10/08 11 31 5, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:
>

>> The mid 2 cylinders of each bank goes with the outer 2 of the opposite
>> bank.
>

> And furthermore, in an ideal world, the pipes are arranged in the
> collector so that the exhaust pulses rotate (either clockwise or
> counterclockwise), for maximum scavenging effect.
>
> Here's a drawing showing the setup on a GT40 with an early Ford firing
> order (15426378)
>
> http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25165&d=1194911751

An interesting fact is that the HO/Cleveland firing order will result in
rotation in the other direction in the "right" side pipe in the picture.
It will most likely work just as fine.

> And here's a nice, easy-to-understand drawing of an original exhaust for
> a 427 side-oiler (which uses the same firing order):
>
> http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/23396-pairing-headers-2.html
>
> As these two drawings are unrelated, they don't exactly correlate--the
> first diagram has 'left' and 'right' indications, but the second drawing
> has them reversed.  It really doesn't matter which side the exhausts are
> on, so long as the correct cylinders are paired.
>
> In the 351C (and 351W), the firing order is different:  13726548.  So
> although the two inboards from each side are paired with the outboards
> from the opposite side, the routing of the individual pipes into the
> collector needs to be changed if the rotational pulse scheme is respected.

Apparently it will only result in rotation in the other direction. The
pulses will still be correctly sequenced.

> Honestly though, I really doubt it makes much difference one way or the
> other....
>
> Mike

Cheers,
Thomas