[DeTomaso] 351C compression

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Dec 10 19:58:36 EST 2008

Dear Tom,

                 As Jack said earlier hotrodding (and engine building) is based on hope.

                 Please check the link below for a compression ratio calculator that will let you enter your various parameters and see what effect it has on the compression ratio.

Shortcut to: http://www.fordmuscle.com/calculators/compression.shtml

             You say the engine is sitting on the stand?  It is *not* sitting in the Pantera??   You said, "but I have the disease....the motor is sitting on the stand and I know it can make more horsepower."

             Gee, it would be my position that since the engine is *right there*, it should be irresistible to begin to make more horsepower.   How much do you want?   How big is your budget?   Even if you're not ready for Kaase tricked out killer aluminum heads, then there is still a number of straightforward improvements you can make with the engine out.   It is a slipperly slope and you should ponder how far you can tolerate sliding downwards toward the seductive deep reservoir of addictive torqu....uh, umm, ....I am sorry.   I got carried away.  Sorry.

              Really, strip it down to the short block.   Check your bearings.  Change to a roller timing chain.   Figure out what heads you want.  If they're stock Cleveland open or closed heads, then you shouldn't need to run flow tests to find the flow numbers for you heads.   Call the cam company of your choice and tell them exactly what heads, compression ratio, and intake you have.   Then tell them what you'd like to get out of said components and have them recommend a cam.   Buy the cam of your choice with appropriate new valve springs, add roller rocker arms, check the valve train geometry, get your carb rebuilt by someone like Chuck Nuytten.   Reassemble.   Dyno test so you * know* what you've got and pop it back in.  Great fun for a winter project.    Just remember that you have to remember when to say "when".

                            Good luck,  Chuck Engles